View Single Post
Old 23 August 2016, 11:00 PM   #48
atxwatch
"TRF" Member

I think the coffee you should buy will depend on the preparation method and tour personal preferences.

I personally have trouble digesting french press/aeropress coffee due to the full oil and particle content. Therfore I have preferred using a manual pour over method. A beehouse dripper, high quality paper filters (oxygen bleached), a very good burr grinder and a Hario carafe is all I use. Some like to use a coffee scale for consistency but since I change coffees all the time, there is little value because each coffee requires slightly different amounts for the perfect extraction.

Next up, I find the best roasters and then order what I like from them. My faves are Counter Culture, Heart, Chromatic, Sweet Bloom, and Ritual. I have tried many others but by and large these roasters use Probat roasters and they get just the right roast profile for each coffee. Devicion in NYC is also good, but don't order their stuff unless you really understand that each of their coffees has a different roast profile and benefits from different prep methods.

Next big thing...freeze your beans when you get them. It is science. They stay fresher longer and they grind into more uniform particle size.

If any of you want to see tasting notes for coffees, shoot me a pm...I keep a wine/coffee/food blog where I chronicle all this, but I don't want to post the link here because I think it is crass to self promote like that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
atxwatch is offline   Reply With Quote