View Single Post
Old 17 August 2011, 11:39 AM   #6
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
I have been buying watches for over 25 years and NEVER have I seen a watch for sale where the seller went down a list of every part to give a description like you have asked for as they cannot be 100% certain. They try and say as much as they know sometimes more than others though. I have also attended many live auction and also never noticed this.They usually let the watch speak for itself. Is this a new trend in collecting or buying and selling watches? Learning the most you can and asking questions before you buy is a must on anything.I would like to say that there are not many people in this hobby that can answer the questions you are asking with 100% certainty and be able to back it up with anything other than a refund if your not happy. Not even Rolex can answer some of those questions so is it a list to ask all sellers? On a 40 year old watch that has been serviced and bought and sold numerous times the answers you will get will be nothing more than opinions or made up stories as they don not know 100%. Unless they are the original owner and never had it serviced can you be sure. Everything else revolves around time spent learning ,experience and if needed opinions of others to make a buying decision on a watch that is acceptable to you. When I buy a watch I look at it 1st and then if I am interested ask questions if I have any. Example :My 1st question is how long have you owned it? Dealer says I bought it an hour ago from another dealer. Do you think he can answer those questions with anything other than his opinion? LOL. I say buy from a reputable dealer your comfortable with or know what you are buying. Happy Hunting

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote