View Single Post
Old 17 August 2011, 01:11 PM   #12
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekbum View Post
I am not sure about refference correct as I do not know? Lets assume I am an original owner of a 1970 red submariner and every 10 years I send it back to Rolex for service. I am not a watch guru just a guy that bought a sub in 1970 and sent it back to them for service and decide to sell it to you as my original 1 owner sub.You purchase it and latter after a tear down examination discover the case back is a service 1 the crown and insert and even dial and hands are too.You come back to me and say hey the watch you sold me wasn't original and I say your crazy I bought it new and only rolex has ever touched it. You tell me about the dial and hands etc and I say what are you talking about....take it to rolex and ask them if its original or not here is all the receipts. Who is right and who is wrong ?This is why the BUYER must Do Due Diligence prior to looking to buy and buying.Those that dont spend time in this area are always at risk of the unknown (either unintentional or intentional). I too have made mistakes rushing etc in the past. I learn something new every day now
True Nikos, like in your example, there might be a seller who was unaware. But in some cases we might have a seller who chooses to keep quiet about it hoping it wouldn't be noticed waiting for an innocent bait and I think that would be entirely dishonest considering in the example that an original red sub dial would set the buyer back by atleast 4k, not to mention the untold misery and time of trying source a period correct dial. And then in a different category and more accountable are commercial sellers who are in the business of selling vintages and it's their business to know what an original vintage is and inform the buyer if it doesn't tick the right boxes.

A case in point, a few days back I needed add a car that I almost bought. All checks came perfect including the mechanical checks and the car seemed in pristine condition. The lady seller was a perfectly innocent sounding pregnant lady who seemed very trustworthy. She said she lost the cars manuals since she moved houses quite often and had no reason to disbelieve her story. I had done the local state checks which were perfect and came across one final check that I had skipped to do with checking finances owing on the car that I did the night before I was to finalize the purchase(Note most people never do any checks before buying a car and some do only the state checks). What did I find, no issues with the finances but it was in fact a car that was caught up in the floods in Queensland and written off, repaired and back on the market, possibly made note of by her insurance company, she was the only owner. Should she have let me know that the car had been underwater taking a swim, she sure should have since we all know what happens when water enters a car and the havoc that rust will slowly cause it. Was I pissed off, I sure was and thought that was totally dishonest that she didn't mention it. Later found out that if was a dealer I was buying from they have a legal obligation to inform me since guess many innocents have been taken for a ride but no similar obligation to an individual to tell, since buying from a private party, silly. Legally she had no obligation to tell me, I think morally she did. Would I have done the right thing and been upfront with a buyer? I sure would have and would expect the same.

Last thing I remember, I was Running outta sight
I had to find the passage back,To the place I was before.
’Relax,’ said this Rolex place,We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like, But you can never leave!
cruvon is offline   Reply With Quote