View Single Post
Old 22 August 2011, 03:44 PM   #24
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Thanks, updating with you comments guys. Also before these are lost, adding in Jed's writeup in one of the recent threads that describes the correct paperwork for various years, Marcello Pisani describing paperwork for 1675's and Orchi's writeup describing the subtelities of 5512/5513 collecting (all in the "Additional Buyer info threads" section below).

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** *******************
Hi guys, just thought would list some questions I found especially useful to ask when buying a vintage watch with inputs from you wonderful guys here, hopefully helps some newbie collectors like myself get the watch they looking for. Is esp for those seeking originality and collector grade pieces or those willing to compromise on some parts so that we can become informed buyers rather than end up finding we purchased an unoriginal watch in good faith "assuming" it was all original. Important in cases where not enough information was provided or because the seller had a "Ask and I'll tell" policy rather than an upfront one. Offcourse again, please ask the knowledgeable guys here and send them pictures before you buy a watch. Also sometimes, if a deal is too good to be true, it probably is ,so do conduct your own due diligence before buying.

Please help me fill in the missing bits.

General question to ask

Watch is original and has no/any replacements including service replacements? Include detailed pictures.

Individual part questions

Case:
Is it Polished/never polished/unpolished/over polished (since these definitions can mean different things to different people)/Original to the watch/Service replacement/Rusty

Caseback:
Caseback photo/Some have a timestamp like quarter/year

Lugs:
Thin/Thick/Polished/Never polished/ Both lugs same sized/ not overpolished

Bracelet:
Is it period correct/Original to the watch/Service replacement/Polished/Refurbished/Bracelet number and date codes

Hands:/
Are they original to the watch/replacement hands/service replacements/relumed/ tritium matches the plots on the dial/ tritium doesn't match the plots on the dial/Cracking tritium

Dial:
Is it original to the watch/ a replacement/service replacement/refinished/relumed/tritium matches the one on the hands/ tritium doesn't match the hands/ % perfect (eg 100% perfect dial)//Cracking tritium

Insert:
Is it original to the watch (Thick font)/ a replacement/service replacement(Thin font)/ Scratched/Chipped

Pearl Dot:
Original/Original replacement/matching to lume on hands and plots or not/service replacement

Movement: (doesn't impact collectability much unless a different movement is used)
Original/Service replacement/a different movement

Crown:
Original/Service replacement

Crystal:
Original/Original replacement/service replacement/Badly scratched

Degree and type of patina desired:
There is a 0-6 patina type, please see the different types of patina from link in sticky here http://rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=145962

Box and Papers:
Original to the watch/Period correct but not original to the watch/none/Chronometer certificate (punched/double punched/written/typed)

Serial number:
Serial number of the watch matches the time period the seller is advertised. (Note that this can have a variance of 1-2 years because might not be exact)/Are serial/ ref readable without a loupe

Service:
A recent service/RSC service/no service

Returns & Buyer Protection:
Period of time the buyer has to return the watch if something is amiss/ Will the seller stand by the watch after that time to safeguard his reputation since in most cases the return period is usually about 3-7 days and in some cases none. But a buyer discovers a watch is unoriginal too late as we have seen many times when new guys buy vintages in good faith and post pictures here, so "Buy the Seller"/ No questions asked returns Policy/Buy back

Additional Buyer Info Threads

1) Orchi's List of TOP 10 Priorities for newbies when buying a vintage Rolex
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=117073

2) Refer to Jeds pictorial writeup of the correct paperwork for some of the vintages in this thread (Page 4)
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...=190394&page=4

3) Refer to Marcello Pisani's paperwork pictures/comments on the 1675's (Page 3)
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...=190394&page=3

3) Orchi describing things to watch and know on 5512's and 5513's (Page 2)
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...=190309&page=2

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** *******************

Last thing I remember, I was Running outta sight
I had to find the passage back,To the place I was before.
’Relax,’ said this Rolex place,We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like, But you can never leave!
cruvon is offline   Reply With Quote