View Single Post
Old 10 October 2022, 08:13 PM   #1
buddy13
"TRF" Member

Watch: Orient star 300m
Omega 2500 Reliability...real world experiences?

I would like to get some real life feedback from owners.

I am not really interested in opinions, but real life experiences, from 2500 owners, the older the movement the better :). I have had at least four 2500C powered watches, but for short spans (1-2 years).

In 2011, I got a 2500D SMPc as a graduation gift.

I'm not very happy with it's reliability.

It ran beautifully when new. I have honestly never seen such consistency from a Mechanical movement. No matter what position or state of wind it would run at +1 sec./day or better.

In 2016, it started acting up. Basically, stopping and re-starting, being hard to start and suffering from low PR. Basically the same exact symptoms of the 'stopping issue' there was with some of the previous 2500 versions. Someone here and Omega themselves had told me that this previous issue was solved with the introduction of the tri-level co-axial escapement (similar to the later 8500), so it was not possible that it was this same issue.

I sent it to Omega in Bienne directly for a full service. After service, I inquired what was the issue and they claimed that it was just through normal 'wear and tear'. They also added that the case, bezel and bracelet showed considerable wear (which was true), implying that it did have somewhat of a hard life, hence the issue and requirement for service.

I don't baby my watches, I swim & dive in them and wear them pretty much 24/7. I only take them off, when it is quite clear that I might unintentionally damage them (eg. working on the car). But it was always worn in rotation of another 5 or more watches, so it was not being worn all the time.

Late last year is started acting in exactly the same manner. In November I am taking it myself to an Omega approved watch maker in Italy. Hopefully, he will be more open with what the issue is, if he manages to find something.

None the less, I love the watch and think it's a great classic, hence I do enjoy wearing it. Being a graduation gift, I will never sell it.

So how long have you had your 2500 movement?
Has it ever stopped on you?
Have you ever serviced it in that period (if so when)?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

Omega & Cha_4 by etienne spiteri, on Flickr

Omega & Cha_3 by etienne spiteri, on Flickr
buddy13 is offline   Reply With Quote