View Single Post
Old 9 December 2022, 02:40 PM   #53
fatcows7
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC / AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettyOne View Post
Amen.
25 years collecting wrist things here. First AP for me. Much appreciate this put into words.

What new collectors don’t quite get is this hobby needs fresh meat. To sustain enthusiasm, the base needs to be forever-expanding. I’m glad to be added to the AP base this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My issue is that allocation criteria aren't transparent at all - why is it that some newbies get allocated and some don't? Nobody actually knows.

I was only fortunate enough to start working 5 years ago and now make enough to buy APs. I'd like to think I have a decent social profile / work in a respectable sector.

I collect watches that lose 30% - 40% of value when they hit the wrist and I wear them to my visits to AP so I think they know I'm not going to flip.

I've also heard stories about how some people walked in with a rare FP Journe and immediately got allocated a 15500st.

Conscious that AP only makes between 45k - 50k watches per year but if they can be a bit more transparent with the allocation criteria they'd piss less people off.
fatcows7 is offline   Reply With Quote