View Single Post
Old 25 March 2020, 04:55 AM   #3707
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
A colleague of mine at Wayne State University sent this email to me this morning. A BVM is the common ambu bag rescue breathing device.

So we've gotten official word NOT to use BVMs with a face mask for any patient, known COVID or not, and ONLY to use them with ET tubes if we have a viral filter in place. The bagging is too high risk for providers. EMS here established a new protocol for hands only CPR. We even have word today in our ED NOT to do CPR on patients who are high risk as this also increase viral transmissions. The phrase I go back to “there is no emergency in a pandemic.” Providers need to be kept safe.

Never in my career have I seen these kinds of mass casualty, wartime protocols set in place in community and university hospitals.
Compresssion only cpr and no mask bagging .Good info !

Going to have a few hypoxic intubations then by the time the induction agent and muscle relaxant are drawn up and the nurse found the tube ...

Zap a HIGH dose rocuronium before induction agent ,to make sure the patient doesnt cough in your face with intubation !