View Single Post
Old 10 December 2022, 10:28 AM   #40
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by emersm View Post
Congratulations on your new sub!

I’m curious…. now that you own the latest version of the sub, how do you like the fit and feel compared to the 16610?
Thanks - I'll do my best to answer. It's been 8 years since I wore the 16610 (or any Rolex) for an extended period. I had an Explorer 39 Mk II for about 6 months last year, and I wore it on and off. As nice as it was, it didn't wear like a Sub, and I sold it.

I remember the 5 digit being very comfortable. It never felt oversized to me (my wrists are flat 7.25"/18.5 cm). I did try on a 114060 a few years ago, and I remember thinking it felt a tiny bit bulkier than my 16610. The new Sub feels much more like my old Sub Date.

One other difference is the new case seems shinier than my old one. I had my 16610 serviced by Rolex right after I bought it (a precaution only), so I assume they polished it at the time. A second upgrade is the ceramic bezel insert. I liked the flat black of the steel insert for the more tactical applications I had back then, but today I want the hardness and scratch resistance of ceramic.

Any discussion of these two references has to include the bracelet and clasp. I know some members here love the older ones, but for me, there's no comparison. The new bracelet has heft and solid feel that offsets the watch a bit more. This helps the watch feel less top-heavy, which I appreciate. And then you have the Glidelock clasp. What can I say that hasn't been said before? It's simply the best. I live in Michigan, which means the first 1/3 and last 1/3 of the winter months are cold at night and often far milder in the day. My wrist expands and contracts noticeably during these changes in temperature, and I LOVE the ability to easily resize the watch on the fly. I do it several times a day. Total win for the Rolex dive watches.

Finally, I've never loved date complications. When I got the 5 digit, it was the only used one in the AD case, and it had the date, so I got that. But I much prefer the clean look of the original Submariner.

This new one is definitely a keeper!

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote