View Single Post
Old 22 June 2020, 01:15 AM   #46
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrist party View Post
Welp I think this business logic works everywhere, think about the SS sports models from Rolex especially on Daytona, they’ve been playing the supply game long enough for people to accept the fact that it is a hard to get product. If they purposely mass producing the SS Daytona then the grey market price would be at discount like most of other watches and people will stop singing prayers when they get the watch because it’s just a very very good chronograph watch at the end of the day.

Companies with tones of advanced manufacturing technologies like Omega and Rolex can produce as much products as they want, theoretically. They often chose not to because it’s a luxury product and should remain its scarcity and be chased. Omega was not playing such game before and chose to make as many variations of watches as possible for consumers’ desires, only ended up tanking their brand value and appreciated by almost no one. People think they are not as good as Rolex and will never be but ignoring the fact that their current watches are in fact just as good if not better. The problem was never just about the products, this is a mind game and they wanna close up the gap where Rolex has their advantages already. Keyboard fighters will accuse them for trying and ignore the fact that this is a long process of building a successful brand. It’s not their fault anyways cuz they are only mediocre people and do what’s been told. Visionary brands will see this unpleasant situation as a opportunity to do something about it. They’ve been under Jean-Claude Biver’s marketing play book’s influence for far too long already, it’s time for a change and this Ed White is the best shot of rebooting the brand.

Can you blame them?
One of the main problems with Omega that nobody seems to talk about is they are trying so hard to please everyone, they end up displeasing everyone.

Like, what is the point of putting a GMT function on a Planet Ocean?? Or releasing 3 different sizes for the same model, can't you make a simple decision and stick with one size? you think successful brands like Rolex, AP and PP do this??
To me, they have no clear vision on how to market their brand, they shoot in all directions at once to see if they can catch the odd customer who wants a chronograph in their dress watch, turning off many more potential clients like me who see Omega as a weak brand who does not know what the customer wants.

The fact that their Omega speedmaster with hesalite is their best selling watch just proves everything I have said earlier, the design has remained mostly the same for decades, only with slight improvements on the movement over time.

Meanwhile, they revamp their seamaster diver line every 5 years or so, to a point where the previous generation is selling for pennies on the dollar. Why would I buy a current generation Seamaster if it's going to tank into oblivion when they suddenly decide to completely change the design in the next couple of years?
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote