View Single Post
Old 11 September 2018, 07:57 PM   #7
philisme
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5508 Submariner
Here is some news :

I gave the watch to "Artisan du Temps" in Brussels in mai 2016. The goal was to restore it in order to make it "safe to wear".

Job list :

- complete service of the movement;
- cleaning of the case (without polishing);
- replacement of the mass axis (which required more time);
- replacement of the crystel by a NOS Tropic 16, which I bought on my side at chrono-shop and I gave it workshop during the restoration, they agreed to install it. I must say that I appreciated their policy since they said to me: "We do not really have the time to look for such vintage parts, so if you find something, you can bring it to us and we will put in place".

I got my watch back for Christmas 2016 but when I arrived home, I noticed that the Tropic 16 that I had provided wasn't installed..... But the crystal had been polished.

So I gave them the watch back in January for installation of the Tropic 16. They did not charge me anything to apologize and returned the crystal that was on the watch.
I also recovered the parts that were on the watch.
In the end, I am generally satisfied with the work of this work show despite the delay and the little problem with the Tropic 16.

I know the watch has a service dial, service hands and service bezel insert. Maybe I'll try to find better matching hands (for a better match with the light patina of the dial), and a newer insert.

Regarding the 7206 bracelet, I haven't done anything yet. In fact, I'm a little afraid to send it to Hong Kong. It's the shipping that worries me, not Mr. Young (Classic Watch Repair). There is also a Norwegian who seems to do a good job, I will be more reassured by a shipping inside the EU.
I also have to source two 64 endlinks as it seems it's the good reference for this watch.

The last step would be to find an insert in better condition than the current one ...

Meanwhile, I wear the granny on a black "RAF" bracelet (similar to a NATO).

Here are some pictores :

philisme is offline   Reply With Quote