View Single Post
Old 12 September 2018, 03:05 AM   #18
NOPDK
"TRF" Member

Thanks for posting. Restoring this watch is such a worthy endeavor. Get it back to the condition you are happy with then wear and enjoy. Perhaps involve your children in the discussion of it's restoration so they can see it's importance to you. That way they will appreciate it and understand it's history when someday it passes on to them. I went through a similar process with my fathers 66 gilt 5513.

Watch has a tritium service dial. Happily it's is a tritium dial and not luminova. From picts hands look like they may be luminova. Have you checked their luminescence with regular or blacklight? If hands aren't tritium then I'd try to source correct tritium hands in a close color. This can be hard. If you can find correct hands even with damaged lume LA watchworks may be helpful to restore the hands. You just need the right hands to start with. Even painted color matched hands are IMO better than ones with an incorrect glow.

Inserts occasionally pop up and you just have to be diligent to catch the right one when it does. I've searched for a lot of parts and they have all become very expensive but the correct parts add to the value of the piece and for me the fact that it was going to my fathers watch made the expense more palatable.

Looking forward to seeing the final product once you finish this journey. It is a worthy one.
NOPDK is offline   Reply With Quote