View Single Post
Old 26 April 2019, 03:10 AM   #82
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wembleyisgreen View Post
The MK1 will soon be off to the races regardless of any preferences. It’s just collectible and unique and no longer produced. The gold numerals make it have an elegance not seen on the mk2. I don’t think anyone has to do anything to make the MK1 rare and sought after, the history is cemented. I’ve long suspected major attention focused on the MK1, up till now it’s been a quiet secret. Not much longer.
The watch was made for 5 years and the current MK2 for 3 years. If Rolex decided next year to change up the Explorer again suddenly the MK2 was produced less than the MK1.

Like Hodinkee, stop creating hype for something that isn't there. There are more than a dozen MK1s on a simple site like Chrono24. These modern intricacies while fun and interesting doesn't necessarily translate to the demand and collectability of the future. Something becomes collectable only if that given generation of collectors want the piece (regardless of production numbers... and there still is a full 5 years of modern Rolex production of the MK1 produced).

Nonetheless, huge fan of Explorer and it is great that model gets a bit more exposure (instead of the standard Subs, GMTs, Daytonas, etc). I like both dials. I prefer the MK2 by a margin.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote