View Single Post
Old 4 July 2018, 06:57 PM   #3
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King/Seamaster
Oooh this could get juicy.

There is a pen sub-forum on here with a lot of more knowledgeable advice than me but here goes;

First decide what kind of nib you want; fountain pen, ballpoint (standard biro) or ballpen (writes with a very wet ink like a fountain pen). Best way to do this is get a cheap example of each and try it out. I echo the above recommendation for Lamy. They are around the £20 price point so fairly cheap but very well made and a great writing experience.

Once you've decided on what to go for you can start looking at a high end piece. Personally I'm a fan of Mont Blanc. They have been likened to Rolex in a pen context in that they are the most well-known brand in the luxury pen market but no less brilliant because of it. The best way to decide is to go to a pen store and have a scribble with lots of different brands/models until you find one that feels right in your hand and you like the look of.

Personally I would highly recommend a fountain pen. They look spectacular and almost everyone who uses one will say that it forces them to take their time, write more carefully and gives a sense of weight to the writing. It's also fun to fill a pen from a bottle (don't get me started on choosing an ink, that's a whole different rabbit hole).

Let us know what you decide.
NewEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote