View Single Post
Old 14 February 2020, 10:05 AM   #4
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
I actually work in photography and video production. While I do it professionally I don't specialize in jewelry or watches, but being that I'm probably more passionate about watches than I am my actual job lol, I love taking pictures of them. When I have time and feel inspired I will dedicate some time and energy. As Paul mentioned, but in other words, it's all about light diffusion. You generally don't want harsh and direct light on your subject (unless that's your intent as an artist). That means using light boxes, soft boxes or bouncing your light source off walls.

Here's a little trick to make night time scene come to life...

Here are some other photos (sorry no behind the scene shots)

It also helps to flag the light so you get interesting shadows and reflections in the polished materials. Meaning, if you have a light box, try placing a few thin black strips around the sides so it's not just one ring of even shine around the whole watch...

Using interesting (but not distracting) backgrounds...

Props can be helpful...

and again props that are also good backgrounds lol...

Here's another in front of a computer monitor...

Beautiful subjects is always a plus haha...

Play around with flat lays and interesting compositions...

Create objectives that highlight your watches attributes...

Again try to figure out a way to keep the light soft but powerful...

But the best quick tip, especially for a beginner is to use your iPhone and shoot from the inside of your car under the cover of it's roof. a cloudy but bright day is even better! It's hard to miss...

Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote