View Single Post
Old 20 June 2019, 10:14 PM   #482
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by November View Post
It seems the majority of members consider this to be a positive outcome, and if you're happy with the result that's all that really matters.

From an outsider's perspective, I find this to be far from an equitable outcome. While gold might be more resistant to corrosion (making it "suitable" for diving), it's also far more "suitable" for, and far more likely to be worn in a hot tub. Considering how technical and thoughtful Rolex is around it's sport line (Rolex currently markets the DJ as such), it's hard to believe Rolex didn't consider this and develop an alloy around it.

With that said, Rolex should most certainly make this know through its maintenance manual WRT alloys that react with swimming pool treatment agents (since again this is the most likely environment for a modern Rolex watch). The absence of any cautions around this type of reaction indicates to me that this ABSOLUTELY should not have happened, and you either a) got a "bad batch" and should get a new bezel / center links, or b) we aren't getting the full story.

I'm not a lawyer or a chemist but to me some things just aren't adding up here; it's possible we just aren't getting all of the information around the what/why. Absent an official response from Rolex acknowledging the situation and why this wouldn't be covered under warranty, I would encourage you to push for new center links / bezel, or at the very least a new bezel. IMHO your brand new watch, after a few months, is officially scarred with the equivalent of a full generation of wear. Not cool. I would not be happy about this at all...
Rolex did well with a free polishing service they weren't obliged to perform.

There are a great many people who wear their watch in their hot tub without this happening, so this situation may not be as predictable as you claim. They can't describe all possible scenarios in their warranty booklet. This falls under the generic abuse isn't covered by the warranty language.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote