View Single Post
Old 9 July 2017, 10:31 PM   #1
Wools
"TRF" Member

How did you decide on your first Rolex?

I'm in the fortunate position that my life and work is going well that I'm considering buying my fist Rolex.

I've loved watches all my life but coming from humble beginnings, my first foray into watches was a Seiko Chronograph Quartz. I owned that watch for around 6 years and it accompanied me on my Wedding day so you know that I adored it! As time moved on and work progressed, I treated myself last year to my first ever Swiss watch; a Tag Heuer Formula 1 McLaren Special Edition. I was so proud of wearing it, it was the watch I always dreamed of owning and it never disappointed me.

However, buying that watch awakened something in me and I then started to dream of owning a mechanical watch and early this year, I purchased an Oris Pro Pilot Big Crown. It's a stunning watch and owning such a small, beautiful and wondrous piece of engineering always makes me tingle whenever I put it own and wind it.

As my career and life continues to be progressing well, I'm now in the position of wondering whether to buy 2 things: Either a Porsche Cayman 987 or a Rolex. It's a nice problem to have and after trying a few cars, I'm beginning to wonder to treat myself to a Rolex next year and hold off on the 987 as my current car is still doing me well.

If I was to ever own a Rolex, I always wanted to buy a brand new Submariner Date (Steel) as it was the iconic Bond watch but with a Date to make it useable in everyday wear. However, the Explorer II and GMT Master II (In Steel Case) also look the business.

As a man with a refined but simple taste and likes to live life with little clutter, I only wear 1 watch (Making a slight exception for the Apple Watch II for running) so this upcoming Rolex would be used all the time. Also as the price is insane, that helps my decision to own just 1!

So in your past, how did you decide on your first Rolex and did that lead the way to other watches or did you then settle as you had your perfect watch? I would love to hear your stories. :)
Wools is offline   Reply With Quote