View Single Post
Old 1 April 2018, 02:26 PM   #64
JLJL
"TRF" Member

There are so many better and more interesting ways to invest than a watch. And I say that as a watch collector.

A watch should come last, meaning after you’ve put a ton of money away into your retirement fund that will allow you to retire early and well. After putting enough into your kids’ 529 that will allow them to go to the most overpriced private colleges. After real estate. Even after angel investing in that startup that wants to be the next Uber for (fill in the blank).

I think only after you’ve spent your year’s money in all those investments should you “invest” in a Rolex watch. Cover those other bases first. It is after all a luxury item.

And even then, just buy it to enjoy it. That is the luxury, that you spend this enormous amount of money on something that may or may not retain its value.

Having said all that, rarity and condition I think are the biggest factors for future value potential. Later Rolex that’s been mass produced at modern volumes will be at a disadvantage. Stuff in bad condition may not pan out if charming patina falls out of taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JLJL is offline   Reply With Quote