View Single Post
Old 13 January 2018, 05:22 PM   #7
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
I also want to thank Jim as his advice is always spot on!

I wish I had caught the Asian "Flu" many years ago. I only have 3 in my collection where as I am sure Jim has 20 times that many if not more, but I have to concur that they are astute works of genuine art and all the more so when you begin to realize how much work (urushi) and how much pain staking micro-painting goes into some of the Maki-e pens.

I read the other day that on occasions that the Maki-e artists will use a single hair paintbrush to effect their designs and at other times even a brush handle with a cactus needle driven into it for other designs and art work.

It sometimes takes up to a year and I have read even more time to create these masterpieces in miniature.

I really love just looking at the few I have and taking a loop to see their work even more closely. It is then that I have realized just how intricate and near perfection this art really is. When you appreciate these fountain pens for what they are you realize that the $1000.00 to $2000.00 price tags (for the 2 Maki-e pens in my collection) are actually very reasonable prices. I know their are other pens that bring much higher prices. Even saw one not long ago with a price tag of $38000.00 and I am sure there are others more expensive than that.

These are definitely not your father's ebonite, celluloid, resin, or plastic pens. They are stunning. Even just the Urushi pens are incredibly lovely in the depth of their simplicity.

Hey Jim,

Could you take like 5 or 6 of your very favorite Japanese pens and maybe show them to us with an explanation of why they are your favorites. IOW... teach us.

Look forward to sitting at your feet! :)
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote