View Single Post
Old 25 October 2020, 03:27 AM   #6
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyDweller 326933
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
Whilst I would definitely recommend having a watchmaker look at it and test the water resistance, it is almost certainly nothing to worry about.

As you have stated, you live in a warm humid area, so if you have ever unscrewed the crown to set the time (which I’m willing to bet you have at least once [emoji106]) then there will be humid air inside the case too.

As there tends to be plenty of A/C in Florida providing nice cool interiors, the constant shift from warm to cold is the perfect recipe for thermal shock, resulting in water vapour condensing on the glass.

So long as the vapour evaporates once the watch is acclimatised to whichever environment you bring it in to there aren’t normally any issues or damaged caused.

TL:DR your watch is almost certainly 100% fine

p.s. I’m preempting somebody saying “but the case is waterproof with the crown unscrewed”. Yes it is, under static laboratory conditions. But by manipulating the crown you interfere with the o-ring making a seal against the crown, thereby allowing air into and out of the case. Assuming the case is still water resistant, this is how you suddenly get humid air and condensation in a watch that hasn’t previously exhibited it.
Thanks @watchmaker. I have to agree with you using just some common sense. This watch was not assembled in a vacuum. And I have certainly opened the Crown and wound it many times since I bought it. There MUST be H2O inside that case just because of the atmosphere we walk around in all day. I am not going to panic and rush this off to an RSC to be completely overhauled unless it starts acting up. But I will definitely take one of the other posters advice and get it pressure tested by my local trusted watchmaker. Thanks again everyone [emoji106]

Mike
SpicyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote