View Single Post
Old 26 August 2019, 01:55 AM   #83
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
No one really missed it per se...the thing is, we normal people buy watches we like and can actually get and also afford. We have to chose and be specific and many have to consult with their wives and budgets. Most people saw this watch previously and said, nice but not really interested, too green, like "xyz" watch more. The exact same thing happened to the Sub LVC. It sat on many shelves years ago and people said, too green, bezel color is off and many other complaints. Many even bought and sold it off. I myself bought it from a grey on the forums bnib for like $7.5 in 2014, sold it a year later for a few hundred less.

Peple like John Mayer don't have budgets or limitations and his perspective on watches as a collector and one in tune with trends is solely to look at what is available and why, and whether their is a reason to specifically purchase that watch. He is an investor and although I'm sure he likes his watches, his purchase criteria is different than the layman.
John Mayer immediately looks at any watch and asks production numbers, availability, and specific traits inherent to the brand or reference. For example, people have made a big deal about "Mk1" SD43s, didn't hear JM mention this or many other things like the LVC....why because those are mainstays, normal watches.

These particular Daytonas, drew his attention because as he checked off boxes for "his" personal purchase criteria he came across the detail like "low production numbers", and "limited availability"....for him this meant BUY NOW. And so he did and then told us about it.

If you adapt the JM purchase strategy you are either very wealthy or will be very very broke from buying watches. My purchase standards like most of us are very different than JM so I/we don't look for the same criteria, hence I never considered these watches and why even after his video, they still aren't watches I would buy.
Well said

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote