View Single Post
Old 12 January 2020, 10:26 AM   #1
Prospector
Banned

Icon17 Vintage WWII Rolex Trench Watch Model?

Dear Forum Members,

I hope that I may be forgiven for starting a new thread about this Rolex watch; but, as you can see, this is my first post. So kindly grant me some accommodation in pursuing information about my first, and oldest, triple-signed Rolex.

The information which I am seeking is of a rather more technical nature, than historical. The watch depicted to begin this thread was removed, or liberated, from a schutzstaffel officer following the Normandy invasion by a family member; and its history, provenance, and and authenticity are known to me by these factors and other research that I have done.

What I am trying to establish, from a technical standpoint are the following:

1. When the watch was built?
2. Was this specimen a standard issue model for any particular branch of the German NSDAP?
3. What is the movement of the timepiece?
4. Were shrapnel guards a component of the watch from its time of production, or a later addition?
5. Having studied the Panerai kampfschwimmer and Radiomir watches and the Radium luminescence craze following Marie Curie's discovery, could this be a WWI porcelain-dialed piece that transitioned into WWII like a father to son hand-me-down?
6. Why do the components of the timepiece--Dial, movement, case, soldered wire "lugs" and strap scream WWI to me?

I welcome other pertinent thoughts as well as comments that are beneficial to my research endeavors.

With best introductory regards,

Prospector