Thread: Clasp Code
View Single Post
Old 22 August 2019, 06:47 AM   #28
athom
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Thanks
Using internet resources still won’t clear up the issues with that bracelet/clasp. But here is some more towards that discussion.

The folded link bracelet
Something from the listing, one link has been added to make it 13 links long, or the seller is counting the clasp’s connector. Here is a pic to help you with the 7836...

The clasp
The clasp is marked in a way Rolex didn’t mark them with a letter above another letter. (Perhaps with exception of “S” for a service clasp). Even in the most favorable interpretation the clasp didn’t come with that watch.
C: 1978 or T: 1995.
In 1978, the markings were more crude...but what may look like a T above a C is a big question. The clasps came into Rolex with a year mark but it’s clear to me that during the final assembly someone at Rolex stamped the month #. for example...

By 1995, Rolex was marking the code with a month number in a finer manner.

So I’m leaning towards a mis-marked 1978-ish clasp...

The end links
Let your eyes be the judge - here’s an example of the stamped 280 on a pair; do the “stare & compare” to the pic you were provided. I lean towards a poor replica endlink.

And yes, the price is out of scale to its pedigree - which for the bracelet has many detours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Many thanks for all the information, I'll search for another one
athom is offline   Reply With Quote