View Single Post
Old 24 January 2018, 04:44 PM   #15
cookqster
"TRF" Member

Explorer 1 vs. Datejust 41

I had the same question as you. I'm a one watch guy myself. I was just at my authorized dealer and tried on both the Explorer 41 and the Datejust 41. They are very similar.

Pros and cons:

Explorer 1:

Pros: most understated Rolex, classic, mountaineering pedigree, shock resistant, clean dial, 'Mercedes' hour hand, lume is amazing (since 2016, the arabic numerals are lumed), 'bomber' 3132 movement, price (at $6550, at least $1K cheaper than the Datejust 41 you are going to want), 100M water resistant (although i wouldn't dive it)

Cons: 48 hour power reserve (not bad, but inferior to datejust 41), not as 'blingy' if you desire that

Datejust 41:

Pros: lots of dial and bezel configurations, identifiable as a Rolex from 10M, new 3235 movement (updated version of proven, bomber movement), 5 day power reserve - yes it'll go all week, date function, 41mm is a great size, 100m water resistant (although i wouldn't dive it), a dressier watch

Cons: going to be at least $1K more expensive than the explorer or more depending on your configuration, not as rugged as explorer i

Conclusion. Buy what you like. I tried on both and bought the Explorer I. I like understated more than bling. I also climb mountains and like and respect that heritage. It will suit my active lifestyle better than the Datejust 41. Both fantastic watches. Hard to go wrong. Buy the Explorer I and with the $1K you save, get yourself a good Seiko professional dive watch that you can double as your dive watch and your beater (i.e., going someplace you don't want to get mugged). Hard to beat Explorer i in the one watch to rule them all category.
cookqster is offline   Reply With Quote