View Single Post
Old 30 September 2013, 12:40 AM   #1
shou.biao.kuang
"TRF" Member

Watch: means shou biao
Icon7 16610LV - the MK VI dial - Newly discovered dial variance?

Hi All,

To those of us who love the Green Sub and all its dial variance, hope this thread is useful in our research into the "supposed" last of the 16610LV MK dial, the MK VI dial.

This dial seems to appear only in the random serial (RS) and as replacement dial, as was the case in the first picture from Davey Boy ('Z' serial, #558xxx) . In my opinion, this dial is rare and probably ranks on equal footing with the MK I dial in terms of rarity. There are forumers who believe that most of the RS sets were shipped to Asia but this cannot be confirmed without enough evidence.

Moreover, not all RS sets have the supposed MK VI dial. I have seen numerous sets of RS up for sales on the internet and at the pre-owned dealers, all with the MK V dial. This makes the MK VI dial even rarer due to lack of information as basis for comparison. Here are the characteristics of the MK VI dial.

MK VI dial characteristics:

1) the ‘f’ in the ft of the MK I – MK V dial has long ‘f’ that is taller than the ‘t’, whereas a RS dial has short ‘f’ that is of the same height as the ‘t’ in ft.

2) longer ‘28-32’ minute markers that stretches to the same height as SWISS MADE, which is similar to the MK IV & MK V dial, aka ‘3 ticks'. The MK II - MK III dial has shorter '28-32' minute markers which stretch to the bottom of the word SWISS MADE.

3) ‘R’ in OYSTER under right foot of ‘R’ of Rolex but compared to the MK II dial, it only skewed slightly of the right foot of ‘R’ in Rolex.

4) the ‘m’ on the right of 300m is further away compared to those of the MK I – MK V dial.

5) the ‘=” sign between the ft and 300m seems smaller and shorter compared to those in the MK I – Mk V dial. Hence, the gaps of the ‘=’ sign between the ‘ft’ & ‘300m’ are wider than the MK I – MK V dial.

6) the gap between the ‘E’ and ‘C’ of SUPERLATIVE CHRONOMETER of the MK VI dial is wider than all its predecessors.

7) bigger gap between ‘Y’ and ‘C’ of OFFICIALLY CERTIFIED compared to the MK I – MK V dial, similar to that of the MK IV dial.

8) the MK VI dial has the same "thin/skinny font" characteristic which is seen only on the MK V dial. The "thin/skinny font" refers to texts/wordings found on the lower half of the dial.

9) the ‘O’ in the word ROLEX spots the round shaped O seen on MK III – MK V dial, rather than the oval ‘O’ spotted on the MK I – MK II dial.

If your 16610LV's dial happens to fit into this description, please post your dial picture here for discussion. Hope to see more pictures of this dial. Thanks all in advance.

(With special thanks to 'Davey Boy' for lending his picture to this study)

MK VI dial of the 16610LV: Courtesy of ‘Davey Boy’ of Rolex Forums. (Used with permission)

MK VI dial of the 16610LV:Posted by ikovalchuk17 on Rolex Forum, thread: BNIB 16610LV in Guangzhou AD, post #18

16610LV 'Y' serial with Flat 4 bezel and the MK I dial
shou.biao.kuang is offline   Reply With Quote