View Single Post
Old 8 August 2019, 07:38 AM   #336
Peter Ian Staker
"TRF" Member

Hi Guys,

I'm new here and after some advice please.

I have a Submariner that is around 3.5 years old. A few months ago it started to lose time (a couple of minutes over a few weeks) not the biggest deal in the world until a few weeks ago when the watch stopped completely.

I went back to my local AD and asked them to send the watch back to Rolex to get fixed under the warranty, no problem. However today I got an unfortunate phone call from the dealer stating Rolex have advised the watch wont be fixed under warranty as it has a dent in the case and I will have to pay out for a full service to get the watch fixed.

Rolex claim that the movement inside may have stopped working due to shock damage caused by a knock or drop (hence the dent on the side of the case)

I wore my Submariner everyday so it did get scratched and knocked against things but to say the movement has stopped due to shock damage I believe is more of an excuse to get me to pay out for a service.

On the Rolex website it states;

Rolex watches have to pass more than 20 different drop tests before their launch. The most severe homologation test is the bélier, tellingly named after the ram. This exclusive shock-testing equipment submits the watch to an impact equivalent to 5,000 G – hundreds of times more than a car crash test. Yet the watch has to remain unharmed and fully functional afterwards, maintaining the highest real-life standards of accuracy and appearance befitting of a Rolex.

I would be truly shocked if they are tested this hard and yet somehow I have damaged the watch without even realising it.

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this before? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Kind Regards

Tom
Peter Ian Staker is offline   Reply With Quote