View Single Post
Old 20 November 2008, 11:53 PM   #8
Mort
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Longines has a great history as one of the most distinguished watch makers in the Swiss cantons. Regrettably, that heritage was forgotten and for many years Longines was a shaddow of its former self - just a name and a case for some undistinguished Quartz watches. But I agree with Mort - Longines are making a come back with some great designs and mechanical watches which hark back to their glory days of the 20's and 30's. But I think Omega will always be a notch above them now - Longines are realy on a par with second tier luxury watch brands, such as Baum and Mercier.

It should not have happened that way. Swatch saved the company from bankruptcy when they took it over but they took away its heart and soul. I think they are starting to redress that now.

I have a great affection for Longines. My 21st birthday watch is a Longines - based on one of their art deco designs of the 20's. Its only a quartz but it has great significance for me. Albert Einstein also wore a Longines.
David,

I too have a great affection for Longines as it was the first nice watch I owned and was given to me for high school graduation. It is the ultra thin quartz dress watch. At the time it was the thinest watch on the market. My Mom paid $500 for it. In 1980 that was a fairly expencive watch. I Still have it and cherish it.

I think thats one of the great things about our hobby/obsession. The memories of what kind of got us started or what was going on when we got that first or even other great watch.
Stainless DJ II Rhodium with Arabic Dial 116334, Longines RG Master Collection Chronograph Triple Date Moon, Maurice Lacroix TT Masterpiece Triple Date Moon, Vintage Gallet SS Flying Officer Chronograph
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote