View Single Post
Old 3 October 2006, 04:31 PM   #26
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post
I did it! I bought a Ladies Datejust, before the price increase. I've been wearing it five days now, with no skin irritation. This is the first watch I've worn in forty years, and probably my last. It's exactly what I wanted.

The Rolex AD from whom I bought the watch said that according to a Rolex employee, the steel used is 904L, and that Rolex switched to 904L because it is "less hypoallergenic" than the 316L. Though the nickel content is greater, the manufacturing process seals it all together so the nickel doesn't leak out.

"Less hypoallergenic" actually means more likely to cause problems, as padi56 said a few messages previously, but my Rolex AD says, no, the opposite is true, according to his source. The 904L supposedly causes fewer reactions. The bottom line is that, alas, one must put the watch on the wrist before one knows whether the skin can take it.

So, there's the gist of my research on the this topic, for any of you who might meet someone facing the problem. Now I'm going to sit here and look at my watch.
Well done, Marie. Congrats on the new watch. Perhaps you might want to start up a new thread with some nice pics of your superb acquisition. Wear it in good health.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote