Thread: This weekend
View Single Post
Old 24 May 2019, 11:05 PM   #7
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I think memorializing those who fell in combat has changed over the 150+ years since the first Decoration Day.

In the beginning it was definitely a ceremony where the graves were decorated with flowers, etc. It was a time to come together to honor the sacrifice rendered by (at first) Confederate soldiers and later in separate ceremonies by the Union forces - but on different dates.

Ultimately a National day was chosen for all our valiant fallen after WWI - May 30th, no matter what day of the week upon which it landed.

That is, until 1968 when Congress passed the Uniform Monday Holiday Act, which established Memorial Day as the last Monday in May. This was in order to create a three-day weekend for federal employees for this holiday as well as many others. That change went into effect in 1971.

I think that became the genesis of the partying and the confusion of the original intention to remember all who fell in the service of our Country.

Retailers and organizers contribute to the dilution with Memorial Day Sales, Sizzling Summer Blowouts. Sadly most kids born after 1970 only know it as the first day the community pool opens its gates.

The men and women who no longer walk among us because they defended our Country from enemies, both foreign and domestic, deserve better...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote