View Single Post
Old 12 March 2020, 01:00 AM   #1514
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggsiam View Post
That's just not possible. It's misguided if you think banning X Y Z country is going to do anything. "Leaving the disease in the country where it started" is and was never going to happen no matter what actions are taken.

The virus is not even that bad to warrant such an extreme measure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggsiam View Post
The US is blowing it at every point of prevention and testing. It's an absolute joke.

My boss returned to the US from Thailand last week. Upon entering LAX there was ZERO testing of any passengers, especially from Asia (not that country of departure matters anyway). He had a slight fever and decided to go to the hospital to get checked out. All the hospitals he called or went to flat out refused to check him. The only option he was given was to call the CDC, which he remained on hold for 2 hours.

To put it into perspective. I live in Thailand and every passenger is tested for a fever and symptoms no matter country of origin. Even domestic flights are checked. Every single person. This is from a third world country run by an incompetent and corrupt junta.

At my work, I document every worker that leaves the country, and their return path. Any symptoms, they get a 2 week quarantine.

If you want a massive virus spread, just keep doing what the US is doing, which is nothing.

1. Thailand was the first country outside China to report a case of COVID-19 and with a population of about 70 million is the size of approximately 1/5 the population of the US. Total cases of COVID-19 in Thailand are roughly 50. Sounds small until you consider that it is very hot and humid in Thailand relatively speaking. What's the weather today in Bangkok? The US has a much greater variety of weather climates. For example the Maritime climate of the Pacific NW to the dry SW.

2. It has been proven that UV light can kill the virus. It is also proven that heat and especially humidity causes virus particulates to become heavier and to more quickly fall to the ground. Thus causing SARS-COV-2 to be suspended in air far shorter as an aerosol based virus that it is.

3. The rate of international travel and trade is much greater in the US than in Thailand.

4. The US has the greatest number of international exchange students at University than any other country. Think super spreaders with no symptoms. We have over a million exchange students in the US btw and they pay the same tuition rates as out of state students. What's wrong with that picture, well many of those institutions are taking Federal funding meaning that all US taxpayers are contributing to this supplemental funding and reduction in tuition for exchange students.

5. So which is it that it isn't bad enough to warrant travel restrictions or it is bad enough? Because as I outlined above these aren't remotely similar situations in US and Thailand and without stopping exchange students from outside the US there really is no way to contain.

And as far as being not being that bad are you familiar with both strain types L and S of SARS-COV-2 and ability to test for both strains and mutations? Also, many false negatives in tests for younger adults. If we are going to be strict then your quarantine you are conducting as well needs to be greater than 14 days. Minimum 21 days, and to be very safe 40 days. I find it highly suspect that your work colleague lives in the US but wouldn't know that they could report this to their local health department. And Los Angeles of all places, they were some of the first in the US to put in measures and reporting. Was your colleague screened on his way out of Thailand before boarding the flight? If we want to be comprehensive he should've been.

We do much better working together on solutions instead of finger pointing imo. I agree though EVERYONE needs to be doing a better job