View Single Post
Old 27 August 2014, 10:46 PM   #2
Rusty888
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc BLNR
Firstly it's great you want to join the fountain pen club. If your set on Mont Blanc that helps.

Using a reference as you meant for the sub. There is really only one pen to go for.

Mont Blanc 149 fountain pen

This is the icon piece. However it's quite a large pen. Perhaps look towards a 146 being a smaller pen. Think sub no date. Realistically it has everything but the nib is smaller and barrel is smaller. Not being a fountain person id say this is the one. They are quite subtle, classic and a great pen to pass down.

I must say if you want the appreciative nod the bigger 149 is hard to miss.

Then the decision is nib size. Id say get the medium nib.

If you do decide to go for a ballpoint choose a rollerball to. It's in between and offers at least something. Is platinum the way as the 90th anniversary has some great rose gold ones.

It's hard to say as I use ball points as pens but fountain pens as pieces of art.

To this day I've never seem someone be handed down a ball point and be really happy. I've seen people get into fountain pens and love it due to pieces been handed down and they always have that connection.

How can I say it without being rude. Handing a ball point even Mont Blanc is like handing down a Casio g-shock. It's a nice gesture but it's not special.

By all means ask any question you may have.
Rusty888 is offline   Reply With Quote