View Single Post
Old 16 October 2022, 01:04 AM   #113
Rigbot
"TRF" Member

Many unusual and beautiful options but I have always held the black opal to be on another level. It may be too flamboyant and/or feminine for me to enjoy wearing regularly but is both the most fascinating (well, meteorite is also a contender) and most beautiful to me (second has to go to Lapis Lazuli.) The black opal is also extremely elusive as I have only seen two or three genuine examples in over 20 years of casual collecting.
Regarding the differences between the Aventurine used by Rolex and that used by Omega on the vintage 18k MegaQuartz (and some recent Speedmasters) that Swearengen points out. The more sparkly Omega version is a man made variety of decorative glass that also comes in black and a sort of burnt orange color. That orange version is often called “Goldstone” and it has gone in and out of fashion many times in the several hundred years since it was first created. Rolex used a natural stone that shares the Aventurine name because of its iridescent glitter like appearance that is evocative of the glass version. I’m not sure which came first but it’s not by coincidence that they share the name. The natural version is typically some shade of green but obviously also appears in blue tone as well.
The “confetti” or “glitter” dials found on a few Day-Dates and Datejusts from the 70s and mentioned by CrownCollection above is, as far as I can tell by studying under magnification, is actually some sort of fancy paint. I’ve seen a few colors but most commonly black or brown with bright colored tiny glitter like flecks that sparkle in bright light. Usually three or more colors appear on each dark background color as opposed to being monochromatic like a metallic bass boat or something. Also the dots of color and TINY, much smaller than any other type of metallic paint I remember seeing elsewhere. They are so small that in low light or from a distance it can be hard to tell you’re looking at anything more than a plain black or other color dial. These dials are also surprisingly rare as I have only seen a handful of them in person. Coincidentally, I believe Omega may have made some dials that were similar but usually less colorful.
Stone dials are extremely difficult to make as they must be paper thin. The cases are not unique to the watches fitted with these dials nor are the movements thinner so the metal dial and the stone layer combined but be no thicker than a standard painted metal dial. This extremely thin stone is not only very difficult to polish without breaking it but the finished dials are also extremely delicate. Any broken crystals risks ruining them and even reasonably careful watchmakers crack them during service all too often. Applying any force on the rim while removing them or reinstalling them can easily have catastrophic consequences. Their usual technique of slipping a screwdriver between the dial and the movement to lift them is not safe as many have learned the hard way.
Thanks to “Powerfunk” and all who have contributed to this thread. It is one of the most fascinating dial subjects if you ask me.
Rigbot is offline   Reply With Quote