View Single Post
Old 23 February 2019, 03:00 PM   #312
Maybelline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
The big card model SMS Baden?

It’s a kit, but that’s just a word haha. I wouldn’t recommend something this ambitious to a newcomer, I know what I’m doing and what you see is nearly 3 months of work. I’m not saying this to discourage by any means, or sound elitist, but they’re not cheap and I’d hate to see you spend money and not have a good idea what you’re getting into. This certainly isn’t a weekend project! Additionally, you’ll need a working knowledge of ship construction since the “instructions” only really show major sections or outline tricky bits. They’re assuming you know what each structure is and what it looks like.

I’d recommend starting small, if you’d like you can contact me offline and I’ll give you a list of suppliers and recommend something to start with.. It won’t be easy, but it’s certainly attainable if you want to build a ship from paper. This can give you an idea of what you’re in for and the hours you’ll have to dedicate.

It’s pretty reasonable to have a card model project last over a year or more. I know of a battleship Bismarck project that is around the 18 month mark and not finished yet.

I say all of this because I really don’t want to see you buy everything and then become disheartened at the massive time outlay.

However, if you’re talking about the resin and brass models, a lot of those are scratch built, mostly scratch built, or highly modified creations. The hulls are made from cast resin and the details are all brass and stainless steel with extensive scratch building. I could help you there too, but again, the outlay for materials alone will be big, not to mention airbrush, compressor, etc etc.

I’m glad to help though, just shoot me a message!
Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it. I’ll have to really think it over now that I know how much harder they are from how great your results are. I may not have that kind of patience or skill level.
Maybelline is offline   Reply With Quote