View Single Post
Old 18 August 2018, 09:13 AM   #62
Dusko.Popov
"TRF" Member

I don’t post in the vintage section much. But thanks to the many smart people here I’ve learned a lot. I’ve increasingly gravitated to this sub forum because I don’t have to see pictures of the same watch being acquired and people posting pictures of it like it’s any different than the last guy who bought and posted the identical watch the day before.

But back on topic, I’m surprised that no one has mentioned a point which I think is salient and key ... Rolex, unlike stamps, pocket watches, and high wheel bikes, have taken considerable steps to ensure a continuing brand relevance.

From actors, to rappers, to rock stars, to sports stars and other brand ambassadors, Rolex has an undeniable presence and signinificance amongst people who are going to spend money tomorrow.

Rolex is thinking ahead to tomorrow. They aren’t flooding the market with pieces right now in order that they might protect the value of the crown tomorrow.

That contributes to luxurification and status.

And the fact is that (to any pedestrian consumer) a new submariner looks like the vintage submariners in silhouette and design. There are obviously key distinctive evolutionary design differences but because of the undeniable visual similarities between each generation of submariner, gmt, et al., I believe that the interest in vintage will parallel the continuing and sustained interest in the brand.

If Rolex can maintain that interest in the brand going forward.

And therein lay the substance of what I’m trying to say to y’all ...

I believe that the interest in the brand is guaranteed by Rolex using influencers who matter to the people who are spending money now and will spend money tomorrow.

James Dean didn’t ride a high wheel bike.

When print ads gave way to the television medium, there were no pocket watch product placements.

The failure of baseball card collecting, and pocket watches was a failure of vision and acknowledging that times change. They failed to associate their brand message/motif with a rapidly changing world. They failed to stay relevant to tomorrow when the core who established the initial interest moved on.

Here’s the thing though ...

Drake, Jay Z and Rihanna wear Rolex’. Of course you don’t know who they are. But your kids or grandkids probably do.

Justin Bieber, Lebron James, Kevin Durant, and Brad Pitt all wear Rolex’ in a lot of public places that are posted all over the interwebs.

Incidentally so does Adam Levine, Tiger Woods, and Roger Federer.

They adorn Rolex as a status symbol just like McQueen and Connery and Newman did 40 years ago. You know those names. You don’t need to know any from those previous lists. You just need to know that your posterity knows the names from the previous lists.

Admitting that you know who Drake or Justin Bieber are might get you kicked out of a country club in some areas of the country.

What you need to know is that those names from the previous lists - rappers, rock stars, sports stars and such - are caretaking the idea that that crown on your wrist means “you done good,” into the future.

And there’s is a public, very visible, very influential, stature and platform.

McQueen to Brad Pitt. Clapton to Jay Z.

The formula is simple. It’s all just a rerun.

Rolex’ stratagem is a fairly simple one: continue to identify the brand with achievement and status. Use people who matter to tomorrow in order to do it. They’re not selling watches; they’re selling the idea of what constitutes luxury. And luxury doesn’t go out of style. Focus less on the function of the watch itself and more on the idea that when you made it, like really made it, you buy a Rolex.

Simple and ironically time proof.
Dusko.Popov is offline   Reply With Quote