View Single Post
Old 15 October 2019, 11:15 PM   #6
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ocean 2000
As both Rolex & Panerai owner myself, there is no comparison in terms of value retention. The simple fact is that if you buy Panerai at sticker price, you will lose anywhere between 30%-50% depending on the model when you try to sell it. If that doesn't bother you or if you're planning to keep it forever, then by all means pick it up because 422 is a great watch (although I personally prefer 372 more). If you reconsider your position on only buying new, then you can pick up a used 422 in a mint condition at 30% discount easily from grey dealers.

Now, if we step away from the financial discussion and focus on the brand itself, I can say with all honesty that my 372 evokes more emotional response when I wear it than either of my two Rolex watches. There is something intangible in Panerai that simply does it for me. Unique look, design aesthetic, history? Perhaps all of it.