View Single Post
Old 9 November 2019, 10:35 AM   #40
matt009au
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalleq View Post
I want the independent hour hand. I travel a decent amount and really appreciate that feature. I also found that the 42mm Sub is the best fitting current Panerai for my wrist. The fact that many (if not most) of the other automatic Luminors (including the 682) have this feature at basically the same, if not cheaper, price point with the P.9010 caliber, kind of screws with my personal value proposition.

Even if the new movement is thinner, they are using almost the same case, if not the same (Hodinkee says this new one is 14.37mm and their 682 review quoted 14.5mm), so there doesn't seem to be any tangible benefit to using the thinner caliber.

It's one of those things that if the other Luminors didn't have that feature, I probably wouldn't care, but armed with that knowledge, it's a decent chunk of cash to spend and feel like you're missing out on something when you're not being given a good reason for the change.
I think those hondikee thickness figures for the new submersibles is wrong. My 683 is around 13mm thick. I tried on the 682 and the 683 when I was purchasing and the difference in thickness is very noticeable. I preferred the thinner case of the new ones.
matt009au is offline   Reply With Quote