View Single Post
Old 23 March 2019, 09:47 PM   #90
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by iclick View Post
Couldn't resist piping in here since I have a similar story. I was SF qualified but ended up in a leg outfit (1st Cav) two weeks after the "Cambodian incursion" in 1970. "Needs of the service," you know, with a 1542 basic MOS (infantry). SF was secondary.

In that year a GMT listed for $255 stateside and cost $180 at the Exchanges in Viet Nam. I bought mine for $139 at the China Fleet Club in Jan. 1971, and at the time my intent was to buy a watch that would last my lifetime. It has fulfilled that goal so far and will continue to, I'm sure, and although I almost never removed the watch from my wrist for the first 40 years I rarely wear it now. I etched my name and date on the back soon after purchase, at the time not considering any collector repercussions decades later, but I'm not sorry I did it. Anyway, I'll certainly never sell it.

It has the original Mark 1 "Long E" dial, hands, date wheel, and FF bezel with a proper 7836 bracelet with 280 end links and a clasp dated 4-70. Still have all original paperwork, boxes, etc. and have enjoyed watching its value skyrocket from its original $139 purchase price. Should've bought a Daytona with exotic dial (Newman) in addition to the GMT, but it wasn't waterproof or self-winding so it wasn't even considered. Also, the solid gold GMT was ~$460 at the CFC, but hindsight is 20-20.
Great watch and story
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote