View Single Post
Old 5 February 2019, 01:09 AM   #14
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
There are a few things that I would like to bring to your attention so that you get a clearer picture of amplitude and when Rolex will honor a warranty.

There are no official amplitude requirements for a Rolex movement at full wind. It is generally accepted that the amplitude should be a little higher than that, however, there is technically nothing wrong according to Rolex tolerances.

The only official test of amplitude is done after 24 hours of running with the crown in the hanging position. If the movement has an amplitude of 200 degrees or over, the watch is technically within tolerance. In fact, there are not even dial up/dial down amplitude requirements according to Rolex official tolerances and paperwork.

Now, if a watch has an amplitude of 250 degrees in the dial-up / down position when fully wound there clearly is an issue somewhere, however, it could still technically pass Rolex quality control without an issue being flagged.

So, if you did send the watch in under warranty and there were no actual issues, I doubt you will get very far as the watch may well pass all the required testing.

Now I come to the 32xx family of movements. It is very likely if there is an issue that it is the second's wheel in the gear train. There is a common fault where the pivot of the wheel accumulates a strange red coating, almost like rust. I don't know whether it is an epilmae issue, which is entirely possible as Rolex are now making use of a new epilame product due to a change in environmental laws.

So, I know that probably doesn't really answer your question, but I hope it does go to show that timing results at one stage of the watches run is really not a true indicator of what is happening with your watch.

Ashton
Ashton_Horologist is offline   Reply With Quote