View Single Post
Old 1 January 2023, 08:04 AM   #3393
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchMySix View Post
It's just mind boggling. You would think these movements endure years of R&D before they are market ready. I guess the real benefit for Rolex now is 90% of people aren't using these watches as true tools. The funny part is I am, and now that I can almost with certain say that my sub isn't +2/-2 seconds a day, I'm worried about the self proclaimed shock resistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Practically speaking Rolex couldn't wait years to try and catch up to Omega. Besides, I'm not even sure what kind of accelerated wear tests they apply to components or whether it would be possible to identify the root cause of the issue with this movement series.
Personally I think it's an obscure issue that's directly related to the escapement which i don't think Rolex understands.
Omega were beating Rolex at every turn with improved magnetic resistance, improved accuracy or precision(or whatever one wants to spin it), longer(supposedly) advertised officially recommended service intervals and longer power reserves.

With all things considered throughout the entire watchmaking industry, the most abserd notion of a 10 year service interval really took the cake.
Rolex was getting way ahead of itself, especially given a number of these new movements are reportedly not getting outside of the warranty period before their first trip to RSC because they're often found to be lunching themselves. This is more or less, an industry first that Rolex can't possibly be proud of.
If it weren't for social media like these forums and dedicated threads such as this one to bring some focus on the issue, it would never see the light of day especially as they are bringing every avenue they can to restrict third party servicing. Eventually the only place one will be able to get them serviced will be a RSC so they can keep it all under wraps, nice and neat and tidy.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote