View Single Post
Old 20 March 2023, 07:27 AM   #3655
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGoodnight369 View Post
I think the part that’s different now is that the higher ups at Rolex are moving the brand into more of a luxury area. Yeah they’ve been classified as a luxury item for a very long time, but they still maintained the “tool” watch vibe that built the company. Personally I feel like that tradition has been watered down over the past couple decades and now with all the hype over brands like AP and PP they are wanting to get there. For me it’s disappointing that we can’t have the best of luxury with the reliability of a tool in one package made to the highest standard in both regards. I do agree with you that I think they will fix it. It’s just a little frustrating to find out they’ve know about it for a while now and they just keep it hush hush while we keep begging to spend tens of thousands of dollars
The concerning thing is, how will they fix it? Someone above made the point that there are millions of these watches already out there. Logistically almost seems impossible. And it appears this is a design issue with the movement and most of them will eventually develop problems. If Rolex doesn't permanently fix them and more and more of these break outside of warranty, they are going to face an epic class action lawsuit. The reputational hit would be immense.

I was a bit more sanguine about these issues because I was in the "Rolex will eventually make it right" camp, but even if they wanted to I don't know how they could. Seems like a mess.

But OTOH, considering our litigious society, it appears Rolex will have to make things right, whether voluntarily or by force. So that does give me slight pause about running out and selling my 32xx Rolexes. Kind of hard to figure out the right course of action TBH.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote