View Single Post
Old 6 November 2020, 11:29 PM   #24
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ocean 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDOC View Post
I find it so interesting that unless I am really "Into a Brand", I am so unaware of this kind of thing.

I love Grand Seiko - and get updates, and Alerts, and my social media/Instagram follows multiple GS-friendly accounts - so I get a selection bias, and I agree that sometimes it feels like too much...

but watch brands in which I have only casual interest, a model will catch my eye based on its merit as a watch... when looking at a case, or seeing it on someone's wrist, or seeing a picture, I might later discover that it is a limited edition or special edition for xyz, or whatever -

but mostly when browsing - it will be a matter of whatever catches my eye, so more options are good..

A bigger question will be how many GS consumers are casual buyers who might go into a multi-brand store looking "for a watch" as opposed to looking "for model SBGFXTs465"

It does make you realize how much FOMO influences you. Being unaware helps, and also knowing that if you miss one LE GS, another will be coming up soon enough...

I am sure the decision makers have researched this extensively and determined this to be a good strategy.

Omega seems to have shifted strategy, likely because the previous approach was not proving successful enough for them. IF GS starts to see some negative reactions, the strategy will shift. The one thing about GS, as opposed to Swiss Brands, is that they seem to react and adapt more quickly to feedback and market trends.

hopefully they can pivot when needed to maintain their upward momentum.
I also wonder whether GS' marketing strategy around limited/special models stems from a strong collecting culture in Japan. Whatever the case, it'll be interesting to see how the brand develops in the next few years, considering that they've only been selling internationally since 2010.