View Single Post
Old 13 January 2021, 01:33 AM   #611
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy66 View Post
Yep. Horrible design. Almost as bad as the 'ROLEX' dials on some models
I addressed this in my review because I said the same thing at its release. I followed the initial push back herd mentality from the press pics.
Then when I saw it in real life years later on the wrist I didn’t even notice the bezel print. It looked very symmetrical and balanced.
The YMII is a completely different design bezel for a reason and most that own conventional Rolex bezels couldn’t wrap their mind around that it’s not a conventional twist timing bezel. It’s not the same old GMT/Sub bezel design. Now I adore the “Yacht Master II” on the bezel because it is a command ring bezel. I wouldn’t want a watch with this much design and engineering to look like a conventional model. I believe that was Rolex’s point as well.
Cosmetically, there was a lot of pushback with models with new labeling at the time like the DSSD “ring lock”, etc... The move to ceramic bezels was also stirring it up at the same time.
Rolex owners always resist change but loves to point out how Rolex never releases anything new.
The YMII was/is way ahead of its time on many levels and why it is “underrated” by some. YMII is a halo/flagship Rolex model not ever intended to be aimed to the mainstream buyer.

This never matters to me but as far as popularity, I see the YMII on high profile people over the years all the time and it’s not dissipating. You can’t miss it as it’s looks are so distinctive. I am starting to see more SS models than 18k but that is the fashion trend. I saw two different SS YMII this past weekend NFL playoffs worn by a announcer and a post game player.

Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote