Thread: Go grey vs AD?
View Single Post
Old 6 September 2021, 07:01 AM   #20
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac6 View Post
I’ve given a lot of thought to this, and in my opinion, I think it is best to go with an AD. May just be paranoia, but the chain of title to your watch is MUCH shorter if you buy from an AD. With a grey market seller, you are buying the watch from the grey market seller, a third party, who likely acquired the watch from the original buyer/flipper, a second third party, who acquired the watch from an AD. (Unless the chain of title is longer, ie, the grey market seller may be acquiring from another grey market seller, etc.). Each link in the chain increases the likelihood that something is amiss - was there some polishing done? Is it really new? When was it made? What is its history? Is it real? Ultimately, you are spending a lot of money and I am not sure a 10% discount is worth it. This is a different issue if you are seeking the 5711 or some nearly unattainable watch.

Finally, at the end of the day, you may think this is your last watch… but that is often what I have thought with nearly every watch I have purchased. Also nice to develop a relationship with an AD.
This is pretty good analysis. I'd say this, but if negotiate another 10% from gray, then I'd be tempted to go gray.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote