View Single Post
Old 28 August 2019, 11:28 AM   #112
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
I got mine almost two years ago and its been my (almost) daily ever since. It is easily my favourite of all the Rolex watches I've owned, eclipsing the prior favourite, my old 16600. Its been everywhere I have.

Whats good:

Proportionally its as near to perfect as any Rolex dive watch can be. Slimmed down lugs and a wider bracelet make a massive difference when compared to supercased references.

The matte dial and that line of red text. When the light hits the dial a certain way it really pops. At other times its very subdued.

The fully indexed bezel is just better balanced.

The cyclops - I acquired mine as a 50th birthday present. As many at my age will tell you, it makes the date much more legible without resorting to the reading glasses.

The Sea Dweller factor. Its just more special than any modern Sub. If you don't "get" that, then Sea Dwellers aren't for you.

What's bad:

Its all subjective of course and in my case the answer really is "nothing". But it is a larger, heavier timepiece compared other steel Rolex watches with the exception of the DeepSea.

Its also thicker than anything Rolex produces other than the DeepSea. It does, however, carry a 4,000 ft depth rating so its going to be thicker.

And lastly, its case back shape (as with all Sea Dwellers before it) can make it less comfortable for some. It probably works best on flatter wrists and needs to be worn more snugly than loosely for a more comfortable fit.

Wrist shape, rather than size, is what matters most. It may be 43 mm, but its only 1 mm or so larger lug to lug than the 6 digit sub, and it definitely wears closer to the Sub than the DeepSea

For reference, my wrist is 6.75 inches. Its a larger watch, but not excessively so. Works with suits, casual, anything. Fits fine under the cuff of a dress shirt.

This is the kind of detailed pros and cons you come to the Rolex Forum for. Really well written. I agree with you on the Sea-Dweller factor. They are much more rare and special in my opinion. And they are just ridiculously cool.
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote