View Single Post
Old 21 January 2019, 01:09 AM   #1
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Meet a Rolex Forums Member #8 (January 2019) - SearChart

This month after a busy season for me life wise I decided to restart the series Meet a Rolex Forums Member. As such I inquired of or resident TechXpert, SearChart (Bas), and he obliged. Bas was born in 1994 in the Netherlands where he still lives today. His passions include his love old cars, watches, running and beer. In his own words and not mine as a typical millennial he probably wastes too much time on computer games. That said let’s get into it.

How did you get into watchmaking?

I got into watchmaking after seeing a display of Rolex watches in Liechtenstein, I found them interesting and started doing research and came across a world full of mechanical marvels from all kinds of brands. I then knew that watchmaking was the career for me.

What watchmaking certification do you have and what does it entail to become certified?

I studied watchmaking at the Vakschool in Schoonhoven, The Netherlands. This is a 4 year course (including two six month internships) similar to the WOSTEP full training program and after that you are a certified watchmaker.

What does it take to become a watchmaker?

It takes a lot of patience and passion. Aside from learning how movements and certain mechanisms work you also need to make a lot of small tools/parts and learn to use a lathe and milling machine.

After the 4 year course you are certified but by no means a good watchmaker, you know the basics but there's still so much to learn from experience. I'm still learning every day.

What is your favorite Rolex to service?

I love working on any vintage Rolex with the 15×× caliber. A vintage watch often needs a lot more things adjusted and repaired in order to work properly, so it is very rewarding if the end result is good.

What is it like working for Rolex?

It is so much fun to see all the Rolex watches on my bench that I would previously only see on this forum and having full access to all the Rolex tools and parts ensures that every service comes to a good end, which is a privilege that not every watchmaker has. I'm very happy with my job.

What is the hardest part to service on a Rolex? Why so?

I find hardest part to service is the polishing of professional models, it is quite easy to ruin the sharp edges of the case and it always takes full concentration to properly refinish them. It doesn't matter if you accidently damage a movement part as we have an endless supply, but case/bracelet damage is hard to cover up, so better not mess it up!

I understand you participate in races, running. How did you get into it?

I got into running in high school. At first I just ran a few times a week, this started getting a little more serious when I wanted to run a marathon back in early 2017. I've been hooked ever since and I want to increase the distance as much as possible.

What is your favorite beer to drink after a long race?

Depends on the type of race, a simple pilsner is usually sufficient after running 50+km

Tell us about the platinum crown mod on your green OP 34. What gave you the idea and what crown is it?

Platinum is my favorite metal, at this point in my life I cannot afford a platinum watch so I wanted to upgrade my own Rolex a bit. I simply entered 24-531-6 in the Rolex system to see if the type of crown my watch has is also available in platinum. 24 stands for the part type (crowns & tubes) 531 is the crown code for this size monobloc crown, 6 is the platinum metal code. Turns out this crown is for the platinum lady DateJust. I think it is a pretty fun 'WIS' upgrade.

When travelling what is your go to watch?

When traveling I usually wear a Seiko SKX007 because it is tough as nails and doesn't cost much to replace if I lose it.

In general, how did you become interested in automatic wrist watches?

After seeing some Rolex I did a lot of research online and found that it so cool that there are so many little parts working together in a movement, I wanted to know everything there is to know about it!

What was your first Rolex, how did you get it, and what led you to acquire it?

My first (and only) Rolex is the Olive Green Oyster Perpetual 34mm, I bought it as a present to myself when I was sure I secured my job and knew I was going to graduate.

What got you into the Rolex brand? What keeps you interested in Rolex?

Just seeing them in that display case was enough to get me interested, the history of the brand and the quality it delivers is what keeps me interested. And I'm happy to be a small part of the aftersales to keep customers happy for years.

What separates Rolex from other Swiss luxury watch brands?

To me there are a lot of interesting watches, from high end to low end. Rolex isn't the best finished or most complicated, but it is a very well made watch and they have always done their own thing. It is 'The Rolex way' that sets it apart and has many brands trying to achieve that same level of success.

What do you think about Tudors in house movements?

I have very little experience with the new Tudor movement so I cannot comment on the watchmaking aspect. An in-house movement makes them a little more interesting so I think it is very good for the overall brand image. Behind them are plenty of seasoned Rolex engineers so I'm confident these movements will stand the test of time.

Why did you join the Rolex forums? Why did you stick around?

I joined the forums to learn more about Rolex, I stick around to share my knowledge and expertise and to socialize with all the amazing members.

What do you look for in a Rolex? What draws you to a particular reference?

I have no specific needs. I don't need a date or a certain type of bracelet. A watch just sings to me or it doesn't, I'm a simple man

If you had to choose, in your current collection what is your favorite watch and why?

It would be my green OP, I just love the size and the dial color. It is the nicest watch I own.

What other brands outside of Rolex interest you and what about the brand interests you?

I'm interested in complicated pieces from Patek and Lange, just because they are beautiful mechanical works of art. Also the history of Patek is very extensive and they have well earned their spot in the watchmaking industry.

What is your grail Rolex and when do you plan on acquiring it?

My grail is the Platona with baguette markers. I have no idea when I will be lucky enough to purchase one though.

What Rolex do you plan on buying next?

I plan on buying a BLRO next, maybe this year. We'll see.

Outside of being a Rolex enthusiast / WIS what are some of your interests and how do they inter-relate to Rolex?

I'm into cars like many of us on TRF. This is probably a guy’s thing

If you are not on the Rolex Forum you are probably....?

Running, working on a Rolex or drinking beer.

Basel 2019 is coming up. Anything you would like to see? Any predictions????

I'd like to see a Platinum Rainbow Daytona; that would be my new grail.

They say there is a story behind every Rolex. So what is a story behind one of yours owned past or presently?

I probably have the only olive green OP with platinum crown in the world, what else is there to say!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (161.4 KB, 1092 views)

25 or 6 to 4.

Last edited by Old Expat Beast; 29 July 2023 at 08:40 AM..
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote