View Single Post
Old 10 April 2011, 03:50 AM   #1
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Case-back Engraved - Let's Take It Off !!

Periodically we get asked what to do with an engraved case back watch.. Well, there are lot's of answers..

One of those answers, is to take it off yourself.. Here is a simple method..

First we need a candidate. This one should do nicely. I have already lined up the appropriate tools and taken the bracelet off, as well as begun to organize:
CaseEngrave1-1.jpg

This almost 10 year old watch has a name that was nicely done... not too deep or ornate... perfect for the DIYer:

CaseEngrave2-1.jpg

I'm going to use a flat 1/4 inch thick piece of flat plate aluminum...but a granite counter or a piece of glass, or even a polished desk, although it may mar the wood, will work just fine. I have placed a piece of 80 grit aluminum oxide paper, or 120 grit for a finer finish, on the surface plate; this particular type has a sticky back to help hold it in place, but that isn't really necessary.

CaseEngrave3-1.jpg

Place the watch squarely on the paper. You can see here that the lugs should not touch the paper, only the case-back. pressing lightly but firmly, the watch is moved in a back and forth motion with no wiggle or swirl so the grain stays straight, checking every so often to check our progress. 80 grit will take a lot off, so be careful; 120 grit is slower but may leave a more factory finish, or you can use up to 800 grit depending on how you like the finish..
CaseEngrave4-1.jpg

After only a minute, the engraving is completely gone. You could use a finer grit now (or you could have started with 120 grit, etc); to eliminate the grain left. I am going to leave it just like this because I know that after it has been worn for a few days, the movement of the watch back on the wrist will soften the work we just did, and make it almost indistinguishable from a brand new piece... .
CaseEngrave5copy.jpg

Finally, put back together:
EXPCasebackcopy.jpg

Last edited by Tools; 13 April 2021 at 01:52 AM..
Tools is offline   Reply With Quote