View Single Post
Old 18 June 2018, 03:47 AM   #24
karasus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesteak View Post
Thanks for the opinions. Might try to get to the AP boutique today to try some things on.

Thinking about maybe keeping the Daytona, and instead, finding a used 15400 in black, while flipping my Sub.

I'm prob picking up a Hulk & Pepsi, so I'm trying figure out my perfect 3, maybe 4 watch collection.
I have a buddy who is in a somewhat similar position as you, with plenty of Rolexes and is looking to get something different. It might be tempting to think that an AP SS sports watch is equal a Rolex SS luxury tool watch and can be worn the same way, but you will be quickly disillusioned by the amount of dings/scratches you get on your AP RO non ceramic bezel.

AP RO is essentially a sporty dress watch, with an elaborate finish but softer materials(softer steel, less water resistance, more fragile movements etc)compared to Rolex(harder steel, bridges instead of cocks holding balance springs, twice as thick bridges compared to AP, etc). However this tradeoff is not without benefits, most AP watches are thinner, weigh less and look less chunky compared to Rolex. An AP chrono is about 2mm thinner than a Daytona and an AP 15202 is almost 60% the thickness of a Submariner, it will wear and feel like a dresswatch but with a sports watch look.

You will want to keep your Sub (black or hulk) as a no worry any time piece, get the pepsi as a travel piece and pick up something special from AP as a special occasions watch would work well in such a 3 piece collection. Pick a simple to set piece as complicated special occasion pieces tend to sit in a safe, not because you won't want to wear it but they are a pain in the ass to set when you decide to wear it.

Looking at the secondary market the 15407 holds its value quite well, especially the SS version, selling well over MSRP but it also means getting one at retail is very very difficult. If you don't what to be that flashy an AP RO chrono could be an option. Blue dials tend to hold value better at MSRP or slightly above as many people seem to prefer blue over any other colour.
karasus is offline   Reply With Quote