View Single Post
Old 19 August 2019, 04:04 PM   #7
gman5515
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
I've been smitten by the blue dial / bezel of the Tudor 9411/0, but I know next to nothing about them. I own a 16710, Hulk and DD40, but nothing as old as one of these. I do understand that some of these were military issue, and that interests me a lot as a former active duty member.

Prices seem to be all over the map, from 8k-13k, which I'm not totally understanding. Some that are below 10k look a lot better than those in the higher bracket, and I'm not talking about the vintage look - more like "how is this water-damaged watch selling for 13k?!"

Anyone have good knowledge of them that they'd like to share? Any owners out there that can talk about their experience? Not too concerned with future value, but definitely don't want to spend 10k on something that's worth 5k.

A pic off the internet to appease the TRF gods.
The 9411/0 started out in the early mid-70s, superceeding the 7021/0, which was the snowflake with a date, and was prone to dial rot(bubbling of the dials). the dials on the 9411/0 & the 94110 was supposed to be featuring improved dial quality. WRT to the military issued pieces, I believe those to be the non-date snowflakes like the 7016/0, the 9401/0 & the 94010. Thus far, I have not come across any military issued 9411s, but then again, many vintage Tudors have very little kept history.

the blue dials are certainly alot more desirable than the black dial snowflakes, for several reasons(that's another topic altogether). But generally, the blue dials go for more money, the ETA based movements are easy to service, and parts aren't too much of a hassle.

the varying price ranges are due to the condition and originality of the watches; u have to bear in mind that Tudor back in the 70s were not that popular, and many were used and abused, given the price range of these watches. there are many stories of how these watches were used as tools, and even when serviced, many owners probably used inferior parts, and not bringing the watches back to RSC to service, but rather, serviced by external watchmakers , and aftermarket parts may have been used to replace old ones.

having said that, u can find some really decent examples, u just have to be patient and look out for the normal things when sourcing for a vintage.

I used Tudor collector's website for a better understanding of vintage tudors, esp the Submariners.

Good luck, and hope u find a nice example, at the right price.