Thread: 44ti stopped
View Single Post
Old 29 November 2017, 01:53 AM   #35
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
^
No need, I’m fine – and I’ve the certificate of origin to prove it!

You can’t advocate to steer clear of pre-owned watches like the ROOC purely because a few owners have had a shared experience of theirs being faulty.
When buying a used watch, irrespective of brand, you make sure you buy at a price that takes into account its age, condition, and that if it needs a repair, you still come out financially better off than if just bought brand new – that’s plain ol’ common sense.

By way of example using numbers…

Watch A – brand new, 3 years warranty, $30K MRSP, can be had for $25K.
Watch B – 3-4 years old, no service history, priced at $21K, pretty mint apart from buckle showing usual desk diving wear.

Straight away you’re up 4K, but no-one ever pays the asking price, so you negotiate another 800-1500 off, knowing if it needs a service or repair, you’re still well up.

In other words, there is absolutely no rhyme nor reason for giving secondhand modern day watches a wide berth, and to suggest doing so is just plain daft.
I agree with your logic here. However the spread would need to be larger for me to buy out of warranty and used in this hypothetical scenario. There are issues and its more than a few and repair bills would negate a lot of the savings. Im not saying its a bad idea just that they savings need to be enough to still be a good deal with a potential repair factored in. Taking the savings down to 2k or less, i see no benefit of buying used and out of warranty.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote