View Single Post
Old 25 May 2014, 03:39 AM   #15
Philipp
"TRF" Member

Thank YOU

My conclusion: My general believe is that we nowadays see to many 'worked on' vintage watches around. Every day a nice and honest watch somewhere in the world gets a 'treatment' because it's dial is having some little spots or the case has original scratches on it. By changing the original patina you destroy the vintage value for ever. It's like a woman that has got herself a facelift to look more beautiful but doesn't realize it's never possible again to age and to return back to normal. As long she doesn't smile, laughs or cry's, not showing you her emotions, she looks as fresh like a statue or a picture. I strongly believe that even a simple steel Airking or Datejust, a Explorer 1 or even a Cellini will become highly collectable as long it's alive and fresh and all original condition having it's necessary patina all over. The watch market has to understand that exactly these little scratches or small imperfections are the key to future collecting!

Stop messing around and offer watches like they are and not how you would like to see them. Once everybody understand the importance of originality, we will see that a simple red sub in great condition will be worth double or triple the money they sell now in average. It's due to the experience and knowledge you built up over the years analyzing, comparing and discussing that only honest quality has a future. Not buying a Daytona or even a Paul Newman because 1 lume dot is missing and although the total watch is nice and crisp, is nonsense! What I tried to explain in my guidance is that you have to be aware about a vintage watch that, for instance, got totally relumed by professionals, where the patina is destroyed and thus not worth buying. We have to realize that perfect grail watches are super rare and not everybody will be able to acquire one in crisp "catalogue style" as the price will only go up rapidly because we know now not many more will come to the market. Settle for honest quality is my advise, no matter the reference, believe in true patina!!

Regards Philipp
Philipp is offline   Reply With Quote