Thread: Watchmaking
View Single Post
Old 26 September 2020, 12:11 PM   #10
Gepetto
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750 & 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred48 View Post
I'd also check out Mark Lovick https://www.watchrepairlessons.com/ and also this guy (a graduate of Mark's classes) Wristwatch revival https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD8...a4K682CQDGwEKQ

Mark's video classes are very good, and everything he says are also in print.

Have fun!

I second Mike Lovick's videos. They are great and really show you step by step how to take apart and rebuild many movements. I'd also suggest getting the book The Theory of Horology as well as Henry Fried's "The Watch Repairer's Manual." Both are excellent and must reads.

I'd also recommend joining AWCI and taking their classes. Right now, they are doing webinars, but they are also doing their "Explore Watchmaking" series from home. If you choose, you can purchase everything from them (including a 6497 from ETA or Chinese version), and a nice tool kit from Bergeon that contains a few extra things they throw in. Parts 3 and 4, I hope, will be forthcoming and cover lubrication and timing adjustments, respectively. (Parts 1 and 2 were basic assembly and escapement). Once Covid is over, they have on-site instruction that's excellent.

Another avenue is to try to find an experienced watchmaker that will mentor you (this is what I have done, along with joining AWCI and getting books). A lot of watchmaking is book knowledge, but it's practice and practical tips and knowledge that make the difference. The more you practice under supervision, the better you'll get.

To get all the tools you'll need, be ready for some sticker shock. Some of these things can be expensive (screwdriver set, tweezer set, an adequate bench, bench lighting, case cushion, movement holder, oilers, different oils and greases, ultrasonic cleaner...etc). But, you may be able to get some things used from a watchmaker who is retiring, or otherwise find a good deal. It's totally worth it even if you never do it for money - these things last a long time and you'll get a lot of enjoyment either servicing your own watches or putting watches together from various parts. And, if you go on eBay and see something you like listed as "parts only" or "not running," you'll be able to get it anyway and fix it . (Note: getting parts that are broken for some vintage pieces can be tough, but not impossible).
Gepetto is offline   Reply With Quote